Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Louisiana Left

There are many things unique to Louisiana for example, the existence of parishes instead of counties. Another gem unique to New Orleans and possibly Louisiana, is the awful fact that you cannot make any left turns, unless you are at a major intersection and even then it may not be available. Therefore you will find yourself making dangerous, haphazard u-turns all over the place. It is possible that there may be enough space between the median for your car, and it is also possible that you will be get rammed at 80 by another car because you could not make your "Louisiana left" fast enough. The traffic in general here is a complete mystery to me. Like the fact that there are cones and such everywhere yet I rarely see any type of construction going on. My roommates and I remain frustrated and terrified while trying to navigate a city that is totally unfamiliar to us.

I am well aware that a lot of this nonsense has to do with underfunded projects and the destruction from the hurricanes. However, the "Louisiana left" has no excuse! Why did anyone find this clever or useful? It slows things down and makes it more unsafe. I can't even park on a specific spot on our street because of the tendency of people to make their u-turn into peoples car and take off.

This phenomenon is beyond on me, and has caused me quite a bit of obvious rage. Hence my diatribe on the infamous "Louisiana left." Despite that I leave you with this readers: "If there was no New Orleans, America would just be a bunch of free people dying of boredom." -Judy Deck in an e-mail sent to Chris Rose

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment